This is the time of year when your doors are open, friends are in and out, and company is on the way! Make it easy on yourself, and get your house in order early, so that you can enjoy! This is NOT the time of year for major home repairs or projects – save those for the slower times of year.
First, decide what needs to be done. Then decide on a realistic schedule to get those jobs accomplished.
- De-clutter and purge – make room for the holidays!
- Clean carpets if needed
- Clean silver
- Do the Great Exchange: Switch out spring & summer for fall & winter linens, platters and dishes. Switch out the beach towels and chairs for gloves & hats and sleds & clothes
- Purge and organize your pantry – prepare for the holiday cooking and baking
- Clean out the oven, refrigerator and freezer
Next, Get caught up on basic cleaning each week. If you are overwhelmed with your cleaning list, consider some of the following options:
- Use a timer and set it for 15 minutes several times a day – it is amazing what you can accomplish in 15 minutes of focused time!
- Eliminate some of the jobs in your list
- Delegate! Get your family members involved
- Hire help, if possible (this is a great gift for both yourself and your family!)